Kilmainham 2-11

Dunderry 0-15

Mickey Newman was the main man when Kilmainham and Dunderry faced off at  Seán Newman Park on Saturday afternoon for this first round match of the Intermediate Championship.

Kilmainham came into the tie hoping to keep the winning momentum from the league going into the championship.

Newman had the ball in the Dunderry net with just 55 seconds gone to give Kilmainham the perfect start and he was on scoreboard again as he increased his team’s lead by one after a great turnover in the Kilmainham defence and good running from Conor Kilgallen.

Kilgallen got his own score a minute later after great work from Newman and Dylan Morgan. Dunderry got on the scoreboard on the 5th minute with a pointed free before following it up with another free and a point from play.

Morgan responded for his side with a well taken score from play off his right. This left Kilmainham leading 1-03 to 0-03 with just 8 minutes gone. Over the course of the next 10 minutes, Kilmainham had chances to go further ahead but they just didn’t come off.

Dunderry kicked three points in that time leaving the teams level heading into the last 10 minutes of the half. Morgan added a free on 19 minutes after Freddie Newman did well to win back the ball after initially losing it to pass it out to Morgan before he was fouled.

Newman added another free before he kicked a great point from play after Declan Mullen hassled well in defence before getting the ball out to Dean Peppard. Mullen found Newman with great pass and Mickey slotted it over. Kilmainham will be disappointed not have added to their tally before half time and were lucky to go in a point up after great defending from Seanie Mahon forcing a wide just before half time. Dunderry added another free soon after to leave the score 1-06 to 0-08 at the interval.

Dunderry were first off the mark in the second half with a score from play to draw the teams level again but in a re[lica of the opening period  Kilmainham found the Dunderry net again

This time it was corner forward Morgan with the well taken goal after he was found by Newman.

Morgan added another with a point from a well taken mark and Kilmainham led by four.

Just like the first half, Dunderry didn’t lie down and brought Kilmainham’s advantage back to a single point before  Kilmainham lost full back Harry Newman to a black card, soon after Newman’s return Dunderry had a player black carded before the winners emptied the bench and surged ahead.

t is regularly said that it is not just the 15 players on the pitch that win games, the subs you bring on are just as important and that was proved today. Substitutes Paul Farrelly and Darren O’Sullivan forced a turn over in their own half before the ball found its way to Newman and he was fouled. With the wind in his face  he curled it sweetly over the bar.

Dunderry responded with a free before substitute Larry Morgan got on the scoreboard after great work from Jamie Madden and Barry Lynch leaving Kilmainham with a two point advantage heading for full time.

Dunderry brought it back to one again making for a very tense final few minutes.

Kilmainham will be happy with their whole team performance as the substitutes all contributed to getting over the line. They fought hard in all areas of the pitch and didn’t panic when Dunderry came close.

Kilmainham: Terence Daly, Stephen Newman, Harry Newman, Jamie O’Sullivan, Declan Mullen, Seánie Mahon, Johnny Quinlan, Conor Kilgallen (0-01), James Hennigan, Mickey Newman (1-04, 2frees), Gerard Morgan, Dean Peppard, Freddie Newman, Richie Brady, Dylan Morgan (1-05, 2frees). Subs: Larry Morgan (0-01) for Kilgallen, Paul Farrelly for Brady, Darren O’Sullivan for Quinlan, Barry Lynch for Hennigan, Jamie Madden for Peppard.


Dunderry; Sean Brennan, Aaron Newman, Connor Dempsey, Davy McCormack, Conor O’Shea, Ronan Brady, Mark Kane, Connor Farrell (0-2), Morgan Callaghan, Andy Coogan, Luke Martyn (0-1), Dermot Kelly, Conor Daly, Simon Carthy (0-1), Stephen Coogan (0-10, 8f).

Subs: Adam Kelly, Jordan Martyn (0-1), Conor Leavy.