St Vincents…………………………5-12

Cortown……………………………. 0-8

This JFC clash, in Donore on Friday night, had a bit of everything, five goals, two red cards from an otherwise lax referee, and some splendid football from the winners, who were gift wrapped four of their handful of goals.

Inside thirty seconds of the start, a Cortown defender was fortunate to escape a red card after arriving late and connecting elbow first with an opponents head, referee Liam Reddy opted not to issue any sanction and this led to some heavy hits in the opening twelve minutes until Reddy eventually tried to restore order by sending off Vincents full back Mark Crawley for kicking the losers’ corner forward..

By that stage, the first green flag of the game had been raised when in the seventh minute the Cortown keeper, John McFadden, who had a rare off day took a short kick out which was intercepted by Nigel Hand who raced clear and finished low to the net.

Hands accuracy from frees kept the Ardcath side in front even if his twenty third minute effort from directly in front of goal came as a present when a Cortown defender played the ball straight back to McFadden from a kick out.

The second goal for the men in maroon arrived, just before the break, courtesy of another goalkeeping clanger.

Initially, McFadden did well to advance to the right of his goal and catch a high ball, sent in by Bob Tallon, but he appeared to miskick his clearance which went straight to Eric Callaghan who tapped into an empty net.

That saw Vincents lead by 2-5 to 0-5 at half time.

Hand edged the winners further in front with an early second half free before a Cortown player picked up a second yellow card for having too much to say to Reddy, his first was for a similar misdemeanor, and while both were deserved, they were lesser offences than some that escaped punishment.

Then the winners wing back Conor Harford, who had a great game going forward but less so defensively found Callaghan free in the corner who fisted a great ball to the oncoming Martin Fox who shot tamely at goal but the ball slipped under the diving ‘keeper to end the game as a contest..

Paddy Arnold was then denied a goal as his shot cannoned back of a post before another error saw Vincent’s get goal number four,

Cortown had a two on one situation from which a goal looked certain but the final pass was poor and .Vincent’s then worked a ball well from their own defence going through the hands of nearly all the attack before Patrick McGill passed to Stefan O’Neill who fisted the ball to the back of the net seven minutes from time.

Cortown nearly netted themselves when an attacker intercepted a poor kick out and his lob over the head of the retreating Evan Connor just cleared the crossbar.

McGill wrapped things up with the fifth goal near the end.

St Vincents; Evan Connor, Ciaran Brangan, Mark Crawley, John Corry, Conor Harford (0-1), Niall Tallon, Leo Corry, Bob Tallon, Ryan Hand, Martin Fox (1-0), Tommy Field (0-1), Paddy Arnold, Eoghan Corry, Nigel Hand (1-5), Eric Callaghan (1-0).

Subs: Jack Byrne for Ciaran Brangan 43, Patrick McGill (1-2) for Tommy Field 45, Robbie Lynch (0-2) for Eoghan Corry 45, Stefan O’Neill (1-0) for Leo Corry 52, Colin Hand for Eric Callaghan 56.