Yesterday was Nollaig na mBan or another way of saying women’s day.
Traditionally, the women’s role was to do all the housework and to look after the children and Nollaig na mBan was a reward for all their hard work. It was a day for them to take a break, while the men in the house did the housework for them.
Nowadays, women can work and are not confined to the house and household chores are now done by men also. However, Nollaig na mBan is still celebrated in some households and now it is seen as an opportunity to highlight the accomplishments of women in society.
One woman told Meath Live that when her mum was young her mother and grandmother would have afternoon tea and fruitcake, while the children and her grandfather would cook dinner for them. She revealed, they still do this today in their household, to thank their mother for cooking the Christmas dinner.
Here are some charities that people can donate to, to support women: · Women’s Aid Ireland (Meath): https://www.womensaid.ie/support/donate.html · Meath Women’s Refuge & Support Service: https://www.idonate.ie/register-donor-payment.html · Cultúr Migrant Centre Navan: http://cultur.ie/donate/ · VHI Women’s Mini Marathon: https://www.vhiwomensminimarathon.ie/how-can-i-fundraise
· Drogheda Women’s & Children’s Refuge Centre: https://www.idonate.ie/donation_widget/register-donor-anonymous.php?pid=5263
Some inspirational Meath & Louth Women:
· Cllr Yemi Adenuga – First Black Female Councillor in Ireland (Fine Gael)
· Monica McGuirk – Meath Ladies GAA Goalkeeper
· Vikki Hall – Meath Ladies GAA & Player of the Match in the All Ireland final of 2021
· Minister Helen McEntee – Minister for Justice (Fine Gael)
· Rosemarie Maughan – Louth Traveller Activist
· Deputy Imelda Munster – Louth Sinn Féin TD
· Wendy Godfrey – Louth R&B/Afroswing singer/songwriter
· Sharon Horgan – Meath Actress (Bellewstown)
· Angela Scanlon – Journalist and TV presenter (RTÉ & BBC)
· Evanna Lynch – Louth Actress
· Senator Annie Hoey – Meath Labour Senator
· Rachel Ní Rathboánn – Meath Transgender Activist
· Eilish Balfe – SIPTU Activist & Ratoath Local Electoral Area rep (Labour)
· Moira Leydon – Chairperson of Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign (Meath)