Meath ………  2-23
Wexford …… 0-10

The old saying that a good start is half the battle proved true in this Tailteann Cup stroll for the ruthless Royals in Navan yesterday.

The result has to be put into perspective in so far as Meath were playing a division 4 side  but they achieved the expected result with a brilliant opening blitz that saw them lead by 1-9 to 0-2 after just twenty minutes.

The goal arrived courtesy of a deft close range finish from Aaron Lynch.

The tie was done and dusted when Meath led by 1-12 to 0-3 at the interval.

Understandably the winners went down a gear in the second half but still scored 1-11 in that period the second goal coming from Cathal Hickey.

Wexford had a couple of decent second half goal chances, Meath ‘keeper Sean Brennan pulling off a fine double save on one occasion as the winners strolled sedately to the semi final.

The draw for the semi final takes place on Monday morning with Laois  and Down also in the hat while the fourth team will be either Antrim or Carlow who play today.

Meath cannot play Down as they were in the same qualifying group and cold possibly face Antrim managed by former Meath boss Andy McEntee.

Scorers: Meath – James McEntee 0-7; Aaron Lynch 1-2; Jordan Morris 0-5 (1f); Cathal Hickey 1-1;Mathew Costello 0-4 (2fs); Daithi McGowan 0-3; Eoghan Frayne 0-1..

Wexford – Glen Malone 0-2; Eoghan Nolan 0-2; Mark Rossiter 0-2 (fs); Eoin Porter 0-1; Paraic Hughes 0-1; Liam Coleman 0-1; Jonathan Bealin 0-1.

Meath – Sean Brennan; Adam O’Neill, Ronan Ryan, Harry O’Higgins; Donal Keogan (c), Padraic Harnan, Sean Coffey; Jack Flynn, Conor Gray; Cathal Hickey, James McEntee, Jack O’Connor; Jordan Morris, Mathew Costello, Aaron Lynch. Subs – Donal Lenihan for Lynch (ht), Daithi McGowan for J McEntee (48), Ciaran Caulfield for Keogan (49), Cillian O’Sullivan for Flynn (51), Eoghan Frayne for O’Connor (55).

Wexford – Darragh Brooks; Brian Cushe, Dylan Furlong, Conor Carty; Eoin Porter, Glen Porter, Paraic Hughes; Liam Coleman (c), Niall Hughes; Brian Molloy, Eoghan Nolan, Kevin O’Grady; Robbie Brooks, Mark Rossiter, Alan Tobin. Subs – Richard Waters for O’Grady (ht), Ben Brosnan for Rossiter (49), Cian Hughes for Tobin (55), Cathal Walsh for D Furlong (65); Jonathan Bealin for Nolan (65).

Referee – Brendan Griffin (Kerry)