A Meath County Council prosecution for an alleged unauthorised development at a house near Newgrange monument five years ago was back in court last Friday. The case against John McConville for allegedly failing to comply with an enforcement order served on him by the council in November 2020 under Section 154 of the Planning and Development Act 2000 to 2021.

The case has come up at Navan District Court over 20 times. Mr McConville had previously been given a chance to regularise his position with the council. Last Friday he told Judge Eirinn McKiernan that he had put in fresh information to the council and was waiting for that to be assessed. He said he had done all he had been asked to do by the council.

Prosecuting solicitor David McEntee said that further information had been submitted to the council six months ago. It would normally take three months to assess additional information. The judge adjourned the case to 18th September next.