Gardai suspect a fire which saw elderly and very ill patients having to be evacuated from an out of hours doctor service after a blaze erupted in an adjacent underground car park in Navan on Monday evening.
And it appears that it may have been vandals second attempt at fire setting at the location in 24 hours
A Garda spokesperson said, “ Gardaí are investigating a suspected criminal damage by fire incident that occurred on the evening of Monday 7th August 2023 in County Meath.
“Shortly before 7pm, Gardaí received reports of a fire in progress at an underground car-park of an apartment building on Academy Street in Navan.
The fire, which was extinguished by a number of units from Meath County Fire Service, caused significant damage to a number of cars and to the building.
“No injuries were reported although a number of residents in the apartment building had to be evacuated.
“The scene was preserved and a technical examination was conducted. An investigation at Navan Garda station is underwa”y.
“Gardaí are appealing to any person who may have been in the Academy Street area between 6pm and 7pm on Monday 7th August 2023 and observed any activity which drew their attention to come forward.
“Any road users who may have camera footage (including dash-cam) and were travelling in the Academy Street area at these times are asked to make this footage available to Gardaí.
“Anyone with any information is asked to contact Navan Garda station on 046 9036100, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111, or any Garda station. “
Meath County Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed they attended a similar call-out the previous night, during which less extensive damage was caused to the same area of the building
Dramatic photos show local firefighters battling the raging inferno at the Academy Square apartments in Navan, county Meath on Monday evening.
The alarm was raised around 6 pm and occupants of the 132 apartment complex were also evacuated.
A number of ambulances arrived on the scene to ferry away patients from the North Eastern Doctor On Call, (NEDOC), building located in the Square.
Tenants affected by smoke inhalation were also removed from the scene.
One eye witness said, ‘The first sign any of us had that there was a problem was when we saw plumes of smoke billowing from the car park.
‘Then we heard lots of bangs and pops which it appears may have been vehicles being set alight by the flames.
‘The smoke was so dense and toxic it was proving difficult to breathe so we all moved outside the apartments to try and get some fresh air.
‘The emergency services were there inside fifteen minutes and battle the fire all night.’
Residents were allowed back inside their homes overnight after power and water had been restored..